Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Introductions

Hey there!

My name is Laura. I am a Psychology major here at UC. Ecology and environmental sciences are some of my greatest passions and I hope to unite a background of social science with continued education in a related field. Animals are another great passion of mine so the decision to enroll in this course was a no-brainer!

Another big influence in my decision came recently when, to my delight and surprise, my six year old sister confessed that her greatest dream is to become an animal rescuer. She is so vehemently serious about this cause that no sooner than I started tailoring my limited knowledge of species endangerment and bio diversity loss to her child's understanding of things she demanded to know what the two of us could do to stop it immediately. We resolved to begin with a simple petition/call to action to the "people in charge" but her vigor and innocent enthusiasm for something so important and beyond the scope of her current awareness has been very motivating to me. I think that she is also a big inspiration to me in my quest to find solutions to the issues we face in our world today. While it often times seems too out of control to see any hope, I remember her vigor and know that one must retain optimism and courage while facing the seriousness of our current situation.

Also, my best practical advice to her was to begin by learning as much about the subject as possible and as I have similar goals, that is what I am also here to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment